It all started from the yarn. I fell in love with it when I saw it online at www.elann.com, could not even touch it. When I got it by mail, I rushed to open the package and touch it to see how it feels. It was so soft and fluffy. The colour of it painted a summer field with grass and flowers in my mind. I picked up a pen and draw this sketch on a piece of paper.
I wanted to make a summer top with lace, open bottom prefferable in chevron pattern. So, I started looking for patterns and making a swach. Ended up with a couple of swatches. The Shell Leaf stitch looked nice, but because of the yarn thikness variation the texture was not quite what I wanted.
I could not find any lace chevron stitches, so I tried a Vertical Lace stitch. It looked nice, plus I liked the curvy edging as well. So I decided to go with it.
I calculated the gauge, wrote down my measurements and started working bottom up. Captured my work half through the process. Here it is.
Then I ran into real problems with arm hole shaping. First, I wanted to make decreases on every row, right side and wrong side. Decreases on purl side looked really rought and different from the right side. I guess it was because of the yarn uneven thickness. I froged and decided to decrease only on the right side 2 stitches like this: k2tog, k1, k2tog, … and purl the wrong side. I looked much prettier. Here is how the front and back turned out.
Still need to block it and it will be ready to wear. I am also planning to post a pattern of it, so that you can make it as well. Stand by.